Chocolate is my weakness! During this isolation period, I just had the strongest craving for chocolate cake. Since I'm allergic to eggs I figured I should find an easy to make, eggless cake.
Depression, like the great depression.
Not actual depression😁. Although this cake will definitely get you out of a funky mood. This cake is made with no eggs and little to no dairy products. During the great depression, it was either too expensive to buy or supply would run out.
How to serve
After baking the cake I felt like it could use a bit more colour. I opted for a coffee flavoured icing. This is optional since I made my icing with dairy. If you prefer to keep it dairy-free you can dust the cake with icing sugar and chocolate. Once the cake has cooled serve it with some warm sugarfree black coffee or a warm glass of milk.
What you'll need:
For the Chocolate cake:
- 1 and 0.5 cups of all-purpose flour.
- 1 cup of sugar. (If castor sugar is unavailable I have a hack for that)
- 1 cup of cocoa powder. (unsweetened)
- 1 cup of brewed coffee. (Feel free to use water for non-coffee lovers)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- 1 level teaspoon of baking soda.
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- 0.3 cups of vegetable oil.
For the coffee icing:
- 1 cup of sugar.
- 3 tbsp of butter.
- 0.2 cups cocoa powder.
- 0.3 cups of instant coffee.
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence.
For the Chocolate cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
- Add 1 cup of coffee to a separate bowl, add the vanilla extract and vinegar to the brewed coffee.
- In the dry ingredients make a well and add the oil followed by the coffee mixture. Stir until the batter is mostly smooth.
- Ensure there are no lumps in the batter, Grease your baking tin and pour in the batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Once the time is up, stick a knife through the cake if it comes out clean the cake is ready.
For the icing:
- Wait until the cake is cool, before icing it. Start by whipping the butter until it is super fluffy.
- Add sugar, instant coffee, cocoa powder, and vanilla essence to a cup followed by a few drops of water. (Make sure it forms a thick paste.)
- Add it to the whipped butter and continue mixing till icing is an even colour. Pour the icing on the cake and spread it evenly. Feel free to sprinkle instant coffee on the icing. Slice and enjoy with a warm cup of coffee.🤎
This week calls for a treat. Whether you want a burger or a smoothie, we’ve got great options.