Banana bread and cakes are trending! So, we had to come up with a chocolatey eggless version for you guys. This recipe is a great rescue for overripe bananas. Feel free to double, triple or half this recipe as you wish. Let's get right to it!
- 5 overripe bananas.
- 2 and 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups of any vegetable oil. (we used olive oil)
- 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
- 2 and 1/4 levelled teaspoons of baking powder.
- 2/3 levelled teaspoon of baking soda.
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. (mdalasini)
- 1 teaspoon of cardamom. (Iliki)
- 1/2 cup of sugar (feel free to add or reduce the amount of sugar according to how sweet the bananas are).
- Grated cooking chocolate/ Choco chips.
- 6 Strawberries sliced.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. In one bowl, Peel the bananas and mash with a fork till there are no visible lumps. Add in the vanilla essence, oil and sugar whisk until the sugar is dissolved in the mixture.
- Sieve in the flour, cardamom, cinnamon, baking soda and baking powder into the banana mixture.
- Fold and cut the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients (FOLD do not mix! Mixing will cause the cake to flatten. However, folding adds air to the mixture).
- Once you can no longer see streaks of the dry ingredients fold in strawberries and grated chocolate. Pour the mix into any baking tin and bake for 100-120 minutes.
- At 100 minutes poke a knife through. It should come out clean.
Note: The baking time may vary for different ovens and baking tins. The knife test is a sure way to ensure the cake is baked.
- Once the cake has cooled, enjoy it for breakfast with some black coffee.
Time to Treat Yourself
Try new dishes like Chapo Wrap and Sose Box from Kukito or stick to the fan-favorite Choma 2 Piecer which always hits the spot.